Saturday, March 23, 2013

Leaders of Local Muslim Community Afraid to Dialogue?


Pope Francis just yesterday urged the West to intensify dialogue with Islam

Robert Spencer  is skeptical. He says:

I am all for dialogue between Muslims and Christians when it is honest and not based on false pretenses. There doesn't seem to be any use to dialogue that ignores difficulties and points of disagreement rather than confronting them.

Others have reported difficulties.
Let me share one of my recent attempts to dialogue with Islam.

My interest in and concern for the ongoing Islamification of our society led me last fall to visit the website of our local Muslim community. I thought that would be a good place to get some local perspective on Islam. My intention was solely to get informed, not to start a discussion with any local Muslims or to be confrontational.

I read a number of the articles posted and followed a few of the links. My visit led me to send the following email:

Sent: 09/28/12 12:15 PM

To: apirzada@pol.net, abouchehade@hotmail.com, kislam1972@yahoo.ca, haseenukhan@gmail.com, mh2000ca@yahoo.ca, asmesbah@hotmail.com

Subject: Religion of peace?

Hi,

I just browsed and found your website http://www.manal.ca/

I was following some of the links. I went to one of the Islamic websites you recommended http://en.islamway.com

My attention was struck by a banner on the main page which said "Our attitude concerning mockery of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)" I clicked the link and went to http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/86109. I thought it might shed some light on recent events in the middle east and the Muslim controversy.

It sure did. I can't believe the violence endorsed in this article on that website. Apparently all non-believers of Islam are "fools and criminals" and the "insolence" by the "Westerners" is "nothing strange on their part, rather it is to be expected of them." Well if it is expected of Westerners then why are Muslim mobs protesting and rioting in the streets? This sounds like a real set-up.

Also, the article is filled with calls to avenge the "blasphemy." The article even states that history proves that Muslims want revenge and seek it by destroying the unbeliever. "There are many historical cases where those who mocked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) were destroyed and finished off. " This is portrayed as a positive thing. Where is the religion of peace in all this? If I were considering the Muslim faith this would horrify me, not attract me. It sounds like a religion of savagery.

In another illustration, a Christian man who spoke against Mohammed was beheaded and this again was portrayed in a positive fashion. So this tells me that Islam is not a religion that believes in winning over its converts through mercy, peace and rational discussion, but instead by revenge and repression. Here is the story told:

"It was narrated from one of their kings that a man who followed the same religion as him (Christian) was brought to him, who used to revile the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and accuse him of lying. The king summoned his religious scholars and asked them: How long does a liar remain for? They said: Such and such – thirty years or thereabouts. The king said: This religion of Muhammad has lasted for more than five hundred years or six hundred years [i.e., at the time of that king], and it is prevailing and is accepted and followed. How can he be a liar? Then he had that man beheaded."

This is one of the most astounding things written there:

"If that is the case, then the entire world – with no alternative – must regard the greatness of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) among all of creation above all greatness, and his virtue above all virtues, and his status as greater than any other. The world must unite in believing in the message of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and that he is the Final Prophet of Allaah.

"We would like to make the most of this opportunity to call these people to Islam, for what their sinful hands have fabricated cannot be erased except by Islam. But if they are stubborn and persist in their ways, then let them receive tidings of the punishment of Hell, to abide therein forever. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):"

So according to that Muslims are perhaps the most intolerant of all religious followers. Apparently everyone MUST acknowledge Mohammed as the greatest among all creation and as the final prophet of God. All non-believers are bound by "what their sinful hands have fabricated" and "cannot be erased except by Islam." If they do not turn to Islam, "then let them receive tidings of the punishment of Hell, to abide therein forever."

If Christians were to take this approach with Muslims they would be called the worst kind of bigots and extremists, but apparently it's ok for Islam to hold this view.

This is shocking. Now I realize the truth of Islam. The most shocking thing of all is that nowhere in the whole article is violence in the name of religion condemned. Apparently if some crazy makes a two bit cartoon or film about Mohammed it's ok to go on a rampage and kill innocent parties in other parts of the world in order to defend the honour of Mohammed? Revenge and murder is cast in a positive light! And as a perfectly acceptable response! Now I see why the Muslims riot in the streets and murder and behead. It's a badge of honour and they will be rewarded by Mohammed!

Awful. All of this just two clicks away from your website! I think Islam will be condemned for its violent ways until Muslims themselves distance themselves completely from these barbarous beliefs and spend more time condemning the real criminals in their midst. Why would you link to such a site? You must be in agreement.

Why should I bother visiting your mosque or learning more about your faith? I consider myself a civilized person and all this sounds revolting.

---------------------------

Having received no response after a few days I checked back to the local Muslim website and noticed that the section directing visitors to related websites was removed entirely! It seemed that instead of website links the group had uploaded a page with canned messages and presentations on Islam. Sometime after that I sent them the following message but to this day (March 23, 2013) I have heard nothing.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: 10/09/12 09:20 PM

To: apirzada@pol.net, abouchehade@hotmail.com, kislam1972@yahoo.ca, haseenukhan@gmail.com, mh2000ca@yahoo.ca, asmesbah@hotmail.com

Subject: Religion of peace?

So sad. So very sad. I can hardly believe your response. It says so much.

I was hoping one of you would have the courage or basic courtesy to reply to my email.

But instead you simply remove the links on your website.

Why? Are you ashamed?

Will that prevent people from discovering the truth about Islam?

How can you live with yourselves? Don't you believe what this website http://en.islamway.com has to say about Islam? Are you not ready to defend what it says?

Shouldn't people convert to Islam through a reasoned approached to find the best, the truest religion?

If so, why won't you answer my little harmless email?

Aren't you being sort of cowardly?

You don't realize that every person like me who asks these kinds of questions and gets the kind of silent treatment you have given me will only offer negative commentary on your religion. Aren't you interested in clearing up misconceptions? Won't you invest a little time to do so? What would Mohammad do?

I think deep down you are actually afraid of the truth about your religion. Perhaps this is an example of a kind of shame that Muslims carry about Islam and about Muhammad.

---------------------------------------------

Maybe I will be accused of being too provocative but I was only being honest in my feelings and what I said I said without ill-will.

Here's a site that seems to be aiming at dialogue. I hope someone is having success.



No comments: